Grand Canyon Ranch Has A Colorful History and is located next to Diamond Bar Springs, a place that has been known to Native Americans for 3,600 years.
The oldest inhabitants at the springs were the Cohina Indians whose roasting pits have been carbon dated back to circa 1600 B.C. In 1871 the Wheeler expedition first surveyed the springs during their exploration of the Grand Canyon. The Indians called the springs, Tanyaka Springs or Grass Springs.
Around 1860, after the Hualapai War, gold miners built a Stamp Mill to crush ore for the King Tut Gold Mine. They named the springs Guffan Springs. From the 1870’s onwards the Mormons used the springs as a resting and watering place for wagon trains which used Diamond Bar Road. In May of 1889 the Hualapai Indian Tribe’s first Ghost Dance ritual was held at these Springs. All participants were dressed in white and danced for five days and nights.
In the late 1800s Wellington Starky started a cattle ranch and called it Diamond Bar Ranch. In 1904 at the age of 41 a notorious gunfighter and cattle rancher called Tap Duncan bought the ranch to escape from his previous... “profession.” It is believed Tap rode with Kid Curry and the hole in the wall gang.
Tap Duncan became one of the most well-known and widely respected pioneer cattlemen running over 2,000 head of cattle on over a million acres. His other ventures included involvement in the aforementioned King Tut Gold Mine. He was eventually killed at the ripe age of age of 74, ironically, run over by a car in Kingman, Arizona.
From 1915 onwards an unknown cowboy called Bruce Kiskaddon worked for Tap. He wrote about the ranch and in doing so started cowboy poetry. In 1915 cowboy poets were not popular but he was encouraged by Tap. The Los Angeles Times published his works for 30 years. “Rhymes and Ranches” published in 1947 is about Tap and Diamond Bar Ranch. Bruce became one of the most famous Cowboy Poets.
BOOK ONLINE TODAY - JUST FOLLOW THE VERY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE, CHOOSING YOUR DATE & REQUIREMENTS